Monday, February 7, 2011

How to Make a Wire Hanging Candle Holder!


I love gardens! Okay...so that's not big news but one element I believe adds to the overall ambiance of my gardens is candlelight! Over the years I tried every candle holder known to man and some have cost a pretty penny but then I saw a form of this wire candle holder and I knew the destiny of my night-time gardens was on a new path!

So here we go...you'll need a glass jar. I'm using a jelly jar for this one.


I use OLD bailing wire...I love the contrast of the old rusty wire with the pristine shine of the glass! I've also used wire from the hardware store. I've never used aluminum wire but if you've got it try it! One bit of advice, use a soft wire because the more you bend and work wire the harder it gets. Wire coat hangers will not work as they are TOO HARD to bend and in the end you'll be totally frustrated and that's no fun!


You'll need wire cutters.


A ruler is most helpful for beginners, just to measure the wire lengths.


I measure the neck of my jar and multiply that measurement by 4. Cut 4 pieces of wire to that measurement.


Take one piece of wire and slide it around the neck of the jar as shown in this photo. Try to make both ends of the wire close to the same measurement in length.


Twist the 2 ends of the wire as shown in this photo.


Now take another piece of wire and do the same as the previous 2 steps.


This photos shows how the 2 twisted pieces of wire should look at this stage of the process.


Now one more twist of each set of wires so there is one end pointing to the top and one pointing to the bottom of the jar.


This photos shows how I use my fingers as a guide to making loops in the wire. Notice the rust from the wire on my fingertips. Think in terms of gently guiding the wire into the shapes you desire.

Now do the same on the opposite side.


Add as many loops as you desire...I know less is more for me "More is Perfect"!


I like some differences in the "flow" of the wire loops so I developed this trick...just put the middle loop between your index finger and thumb and turn it one turn...TA DAA! You can see the flow of the wire has changed...so pretty!


I added another loop and one more turn of the last loop...see how it flows?


Again I'm using my fingers as a guide for the size of my loops for the bottom wire.


Let your imagination reign...make as many loops as you please.


Take a pair of pliers and simply make a little turn of the ends of the wire to finish off all 4 pieces of wire.


Take the 3rd piece of your precut wire and make a loop...just bring the two ends together and then cross over and you'll see the loop!


My fingers again as a guide for the first loop of the top hanger.


Make a series of loops again.


Notice the flip of one of the loops and there is the "flow" again! Using a pair of pliers curl the ends into tiny loops.

Cut 4 one (1) inch pieces of wire. Make these into a loop. Now connect the hanger to the top of the wire on the jar.

Here is a close up of the loop connector.


Repeat the steps for the top hanger and make the bottom hanger.

I hope these instructions were helpful! A few tips...I've used "some" of my hanging candle holders for years....WHEN I REMEMBER TO BRING THEM IN FROM HAIL STORMS AND FREEZING WEATHER...a little water in the jar on a freezing day or night is disaster. But the good news...they are easily replaced and each time it becomes easier!

I've used glass baby food jars,those tiny jars that held minced garlic or canning jars for the candle holders. I've also used long neck bottles which are transformed into hanging rooting bottles for new plants. Use your imagination!

Tea lights are my preferred candle in these little beauties (hint...I buy a bag of 144 at Big Lots! Love that store!)

Have fun and let your imagination rule!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy, IT's nice to meet you. Thanks for the nice comments and the follow. I'm one of your new followers. So glad I came by to see you too have a tutorial to share. I love candles and this project is awesome. Thanks. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I'm putting this on my ever growing list of things to make. Thank you for sharing!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, where can I buy the bailing wire?
    -thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I invite you to leave a comment because I read them! If you have the time please click the FOLLOW BUTTON and join me on my journey through The Land of Blog!